The sanctuary building has 81 stained glass windows that date back to 1902. The large stained glass window with Christ Knocking at the Door and the Good Samaritan window are among the largest windows of stained glass found in a church. It is interesting to note that the total cost to build the church was $20,000 in 1902.
Christ Knocking at the Door was given by Mrs. Ellen Shannon Robertson who lived in the Panther Springs area. She was a Presbyterian and her husband, Dr. Robertson, was a Methodist. In his honor she gave the church $1,300 to buy the window and $1,300 for the upkeep of the window. The lighting for this window was a gift of Lynn Sheeley, Sr., in memory of his mother, Mrs. Ella Frances Sheeley.
The window to the left of Christ Knocking at the Door is in memory of Ann, Maggie, and Harry French, believed to have been give by their parents, Dr. & Mrs. George D. French, grandparents of attorney Ernest Taylor. The window to the right is in memory of Ann B. Stubblefield, given by her husband.
The Good Samaritan window is perhaps the largest window in East Tennessee that was hand painted and fired into the glass. This window was placed in memory of Charles A. and Rachell Hodge, parents of Mary Hodge (Mrs. Sullins Dosser).
Over the altar is a beautiful window showing Christ ascending on clouds. This window is dedicated to Rev. Rufus M. Hickey who founded Methodism in Morristown. He preached the last sermon in our early wooden church and the first sermon in our present sanctuary, built in 1902. We owe much to this early pioneer minister who served the Methodist Church as a minister for 57 years.
The window with the Epworth League emblem was given by members of the Epworth League (youth). No one knows about the beautifully colored round window.
The windows in the chapel are truly beautiful to view in the afternoon with the full sunlight showing the deep blue colors and the gold dust that was made into these windows. The three matched windows are very valuable and cannot be reproduced by today’s methods. Rev. C.S. Harris (June 13, 1802-August 25, 1883) and Marcia Jane Harris (August 6, 1812-August 10, 1879) are inscribed on these windows. The three matched windows given by the family of Mrs. John Helms who taught the class for fifty years.
All other windows in the original building (1902) were paid for from the building fund. The committee wanted all stained glass windows in the church.